When we introduced the Quantum in 2018 it immediately found its way in the studios and hearts of the most acclaimed film composers, producers, musicians and sound designers. Now five years later we release an upgrade of our flagship Quantum synthesizer called "Quantum MK2".
Quantum MK2 was upgraded with a 61 keys polyphonic aftertouch keybed from Fatar, increased sampling storage to 59 GB, improved mechanical design and display. The new 3.0 firmware allows for up to 16 digital or any combination using the 8 analog filter with additional 8 digital.
61 keys Fatar TP8/SK with aftertouch
The Quantum MK2 is the first intrument which presents a 61 keys Fatar TP8/SK polyphonic aftertouch keybed to the world. With its increased possibilities for musicial and gestural expression the keybed allows to utilize the enormous modulation capabilities of the Quantum synthesis engine. It is a next level of expression based on a traditional keybed, which keeps all playing capabilities of a musician, and then extends it with an additional dimension of control and creativity.
The polyphonic aftertouch is highly customizable in multiple dimensions globally as well as for individual keys. The high-resolution graphical display supports visual feedback and control for the customization process. In addition to its internal poly aftertouch keybed, the Quantum MK2 can be controlled by any MPE capable controller by directly connecting to Quantum’s USB host port.
16 voices of polyphony, digital and analog filters
Based on an 8 voice analogue dual-filter architecture, the Quantum has been opened up for up to 16 voices of polyphony in any combination of using digital dual multi-mode filters with the 8 analogue ones. Moreover the combination of analogue with digital filter opens up new sonic possibilities of what Waldorf Music stands for since its beginning: Hybrid digital and analogue synthesis. A new set of allocation modes gives the musician an easy control.
59 GB sampling storage
Another cornerstone of „The Quantum Mark 2“ is its increased internal sampling storage from a few GB to 59 GB. The Quantum has become quickly the instrument of choice for modern advanced sampling capabilities for sound enthusiasts and cinematic composers from Berlin to Los Angeles. From firmware 1.0 to 3.0 Waldorf Music has listened to the requests and needs of musicians to extend it polyphonic granular sampling engine as well its traditional multi-sample engine.
Design and display
The updated mechanical design and a classy naval blue presents the musician an instrument of beauty and inspiration. The improved mounting of the high-resolution touch display provides wider viewing angles and an intuitive way of controlling the more advanced features of the Quantum synthesis engine.
Sounds and samples
Highly aclaimed sound designers from all of over the world have contributed to the huge library of factory presets and and initial sample content of 2 GB. Waldorf Music is proud to have sounds from designers like Richard Devine, Howard Scarr, Reinhold Heil, BT, Matt Johnson, Joerg Huettner, Kevin Schroeder, Sascha Dikiciyan, Kurt Ader, Mike Huckaby, Thorsten Quaeschning and many more. All sounds are compatible with Waldorf’s Iridium instruments in both directions.
Waldorf Music has updated and improved its Quantum firmware continuously adding new synthesis capabilities and many feature requests by musicians. The Quantum firmware builds together with the Iridium firmware a "Waldorf Synthesis Platform.“
- Hybrid Digital/Analog Polyphonic Synthesizer
- 61 Keys high-quality Fatar TP/8SK keyboard, channel aftertouch
- 8 voices with analog filter, up to 16 voices with digital filters
- Dual timbral: split or layered mode with separate stereo audio outputs
- 3 stereo digital oscillators each capable of five synthesis algorithms
- Wavetable: Waldorf style with latest additions from Nave including speech synthesis, wavetable generation from audio and new features
- Waveform: Waveform with up to 8 simultaneous waves per Oscillator in detuned or chordal mode with hard-sync, warp & PWM as well as tunable noise
- Particle: Sampler in traditional and granular mode using multi-samples or live input
- Resonator: Exciter using multi-sampling plus filter bank sound model.
- New Kernel synthesis with possibilities from classic 6 operator FM to innovative audio rate wavetable modulations
- Two analogue lowpass filters per voice each in 24 or 12 dB configuration using innovative link modes, or alternatively two digital multi-mode filters
- Digital former: Additional digital algorithms per voice like comb filter, high-pass, band-pass & notch filters (Nave, Largo or PPG models), bit-crusher, drive and more
- Flexible routing system for order of filters & digital former and individual oscillator routings
- 6 LFOs in poly and global mode with extensive parameter set
- 6 loopable envelopes
- Komplex: multistage LFO/envelope modulator
- Extensive modulation matrix with 40 slots and easy via-controller assignments
- Intuitive modulation assignment via panel elements and control LEDs
- Master effect rack of 5 slots for each timbre choosing from FX like phaser, flanger, chorus, reverb, drive, eq and more.
- Compressor for main output
- Step sequencer with step recording, parameter automation and scale-based pitch quantization
- Microtonal pitch configurations capable of importing Skala scl files
- Capable of polyphonic aftertouch via internal keybed or external MIDI inputs
- Chord and latch buttons
- Unisono mode
- Module-based preset system for effects, oscillators, step-sequenzer and Komplex modulator
- Single-function potentiometer and encoder controls for intuitive editing
- Visualisation and deeper sound editing via context-sensitive high-resolution capacitive multi-touch display
- Spectrum Analyzer and Oscilloscope at various processing stages
- Up to 10,000 sound patch capacity organized by banks, attributes, author and patch number.
- Favourites lists for quick recall of sound patches like for set-lists etc.
- Pre-loaded with wide variety of patches by acclaimed sound designers
- MIDI output of local keyboard, wheels and assignable panel elements
- Automation of sound parameters from MIDI inputs via MIDI CC learn function
- Recording of samples from audio inputs or self-recording of audio outputs
- 4 GB*) internal Flash memory for presets and wavetables, 59GB internal sample storage
- Pre-loaded with approx. 2 GB sample data
- On board audio file editor
- Export & import of presets, sample & wavetable via SD card or USB drive
- Import of Nave presets and selected legacy FM .syx files
- Mod wheel can be assigned to any parameter which can be modulated in the matrix or via quick assign
- Pitch wheel can be assigned to each oscillator individually
- Weight: 17.8kg
- Dimensions: 1006 x 401 x 131 mm
- Each of the 3 Oscillators of a single timbre can be used in one of three modes using samples:
- Stereo Multi-Sampler with looping and reverse playback
- Granular Sampler with extensive parameter set
- Resonator model using sampler as exciter
- Samples are organized using key and velocity maps, selections rules like round robin, random etc., and individual pitch, gain and pan settings.
- Samples are stored in internal Flash memory of 59GB capacity pre-filled with 2GB specially made for Quantum factory samples.
- New samples can be recorded from external stereo audio inputs, or from self-recording Quantums own engine. Samples can also be imported an stored to internal Flash via SD card or USB drive using WAV and AIFF file format (44.1kHz sample rate).
- The Quantum allows for a huge range of sample-based sound design capabilities from classical synths sounds to uncharted territories.
- It’s worth noting that the sample use in the Quantum is always within a synthesizer’s sonic context, and it is not meant to work as a “bread and butter” sample keyboard to play back like traditional sampling instruments nor third party libraries.
Huge range of arpeggiator parameters:
- 7 Algorithms to choose from like up, down, random etc.
- Octave range
- 7 Sort Orders
- 3 Velocity Modes
- Gate length
- Beat Division
- Rhythmic patterns
- Reset Modes
- Keyboard Latch chordal and non-chordal
- If that’s not enough, individual patterns can be created in the step sequencer including transpositions and scale quantisations.
- 2x stereo audio outputs for main and aux timbres
- Stereo audio input for sample recording and real-time processing
- High-Quality 24bit A/D and D/A converters
- Headphone out with separate level adjustment
- Sustain pedal input
- ontrol pedal connector also capable of CV input (0-5V sensitivity)
- USB host type A connector for interfacing MIDI controller or USB drives for sample/preset exchange and software updates
- USB device type B connector for interfacing computer or other class-compliant MIDI USB hosts like iOS devices
- SD Card for sample/preset exchange and software updates
- DIN MIDI In, Out & Thru
- Integrated power supply unit